Another fun wrinkle to think about in this discussion is third-party
apps.  Currently there are numerous useful apps out there which you
can't really use if you want to have HTML(5) output because they have
XHTML output hard-coded.  The developers of these apps haven't done a
"bad" thing here, they simply mirrored Django's own behavior.

As an interim solution I've forked django-html (http://github.com/
SeanOC/django-html) and added a middleware which does the XHTML=>HTML
string replacement.  This is obviously a fairly messy approach but it
is the only way I've figured out to work with third party apps without
maintaining HTML compatible forks of everything.

To address this problem the "right" way, I'd suggest that in addition
to fixing Django's own HTML output to respect a {% doctype %} tag, we
should also provide tools to make it easy for developers to respect
that tag.  I'm not sure what form those tools should take right now
but it's definitely something that should be consider as part of the
solution to this problem.