Simon Willison wrote:
> On Sep 26, 10:17 am, Max Battcher <m...@worldmaker.net> wrote:
>> Furthermore, support for XHTML "5" (which is indeed a part of the HTML 5
>> standard) shows that XHTML 1's principles are still around and still
>> respected. Django's XHTML output can't be "out of date" if XHTML 5 is
>> considered a successor to XHTML 1.
>
> Opinions differ, but in the interest of keeping this thread about HTML
> support in Django I'm going to leave that discussion here - let's
> assume that it would be a Good Thing for Django should provide support
> for outputting both HTML and XHTML, and focus on how we can achieve
> that.

But I'm not sure that is a correct assertion. I don't think there is a
strong enough difference between HTML and the XHTML that Django
generates for there to be a need for more complicated mechanisms of
rendering. If the only point of contention is self-closing tags (<tag
/>), then HTML 4 might not support it explicitly (although in fact most
modern browsers support it implicitly), but HTML 5 (the HTML form
factor, not just XHTML 5) explicitly supports self-closing tags:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#start-tags

Under Section 9.1.2.1 -- Start Tags, I quote:

   6. Then, if the element is one of the void elements, or if the
element is a foreign element, then there may be a single U+002F SOLIDUS
(/) character. This character has no effect on void elements, but on
foreign elements it marks the start tag as self-closing.

I really don't see what the fuss here is about. If we are worried about
forwards-compatibility, HTML 5 takes care of it. If we are worried about
better backwards-compatibility with HTML 4, everyone else is saying that
the future is now and the focus should be HTML 5...

What is this argument really about?

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net