Apache_mod_PHP or Apache_fastCGI, or IIS flavored.

Although I've had some good experiences using lighttpd with php too.

What I mean with a php server in general is any webserver configured to run
PHP websites and static files and nothing else.

You can get rather funky results having a webserver setup to run PHP, ASP,
Python, JAVA, .NET and other languages all on the same box plus maybe
several different database engines.

I prefer choosing a technology and sticking with it for the entire website
or server.
I also adminned a server farm for a hosting company in the past, they had
all servers setup to run everything you can imagine, including some servers
running fully configured Apache and MySQL instances, configured for PHP all
the way to Java, while the servers in question were only used to lease
Multiplayer COD and Ghost Recon instances on it.

I changed it to have a 4 server pool of PHP servers, an 8 server pool that
ran nothing but static files and a 3 server pool with Windows/IIS for ASP
and .NET with all the other servers being utilized for game instances.

He was able to drop 8 webservers (there were originaly 23 servers that ran
websites and web applications) and replace them with boxes better suited for
game hosting, because the way I configured the 15 remaining web servers was
plenty performant to run what he was hosting (they were really just running
5-10% average load).

Way less headaches and much lower maintenance.
It's easy to mess up multiple technologies on one server by updating or
adding one.

Not to mention that most webservers that have too many technologies
installed and enabled for use are typically malconfigured and unoptimized
because its way to big a headache to even start trying to fix it, while that
type of servers is usually managed and in the hands of someone with sub par
knowledge of the technologies and just had some external company or the
datacenter where they lease the servers set it up like that.