On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Paul McLanahan <pmclana...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This may be adding undue complexity, but I wanted to throw it out and
> see what you thought anyway. I think a possible solution to Russ' last
> two points may indeed be overloading the "messages" template variable.
> What I'm thinking is that we keep the message_set (of course) and add
> the new "request.messages.*" API, but completely remove the messages
> part of the auth context_processor and have the default backend for
> the new system pull both for the first release (purely for backward
> comparability). Messages from the old message_set system could get a
> default level in the new system. This shouldn't be an issue since the
> people using it will likely be existing projects where they won't be
> using any level information in their templates. We couple this
> combined backend with settings that will allow you to easily disable
> the DB part of the backend (or make it clear how to and strongly
> suggest switching backends), and provide a setting for the default
> message level that defaults to INFO.

As a developer I'd rather make the conscious switch from one
technology to the other.  IMHO I don't think the effort and potential
confusion of making everyone's templates "just work" is worth it.

Chris, I know you have some personal experience trying to get session-
and user-based messages to work together, so I think we'd benefit from
any wisdom you might be able to offer.  :)

Toby

--
Tobias McNulty
Caktus Consulting Group, LLC