On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM, mrts <mrts.py...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jacob, I'm afraid you totally misunderstood me.
> My message was intended to encourage people to
> scratch their own itches more now that it's so
> much easier -- and, of course, give back --
> instead of grumbling on the mailing list.

Yup, that's very constructive advice, and my apologies: I was mostly
referring to Yuri's message when I talked about tone. Although you're
both talking about forks, you're doing it in a much more constructive
way.

You have to understand that historically the fork as been the nuclear
option in open source. Threatening to fork the code is roughly the
equivalent of saying "screw you guys." Forks diverge quickly, and
reconciliation becomes difficult, and so it's hard to feel any desire
to engage.

I understand you're saying something different here -- DVCSes have, to
a limited degree, changed the story when it comes to forks. Rather,
it's enabled a middle ground -- distributed branches -- that allow
many of the benefits of a fork without all the heartache.

What's frustrating, though, is hearing that you have a problem with
our workflow without any concrete suggestions to improve it or offers
of assistance. There's a general theme underlying most of this "angst"
(as you call it): the tone implies that you're somehow entitled to our
(core developers) time and energy, when we're just as stressed,
harried, and busy as you.

We're *volunteers*. We work on Django because we *want* to, because it
scratches our own itches. This sense of entitlement to our time and
energy is rude and offensive. If *anything* gets done, it's because
someone volunteers to do it. If things aren't getting done, volunteer.

Jacob