On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
<freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As best as I can make out, you're addressing the problem that I've
> said we aren't addressing - that of presenting a useful end-user API
> for tasks like master/slave. If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct me
> - preferably with some sample code to demonstrate what you're talking
> about.

Yes - it sounds to me like Waldemar might be talking about the
"registration/callback API to allow you control database assignment on
a per-query basis" that you mention above.  I hadn't thought about
this before, but I like the idea and I think it'll be crucial in
implementing some of the more complex partitioning cases.

It seems like it'll be necessary in addition to some sort of
settings-based map of what apps/models go in what databases.

Quick question: will the admin.Site method be useful in addition to
whatever more global method we come up with for designating what
tables go in what databases, or will it be obsolete (and potentially
deprecated) at that point?  I can't see a reason that one would want
to modify the database(s) the admin uses irrespective of the global
settings.

Cheers,
Tobias
--