On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Jeremy Dunck <jdu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:02 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
> <freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Looking at new ideas to try - if someone trusted at the sprint (such
>> as yourself) were to take the role of developing a merge-ready git
>> branch, we (the committers) could use that branch to feed into trunk.
>> This hasn't been done in the past, but if you want to try an
>> experiment, it would be interesting to see if we can make it work.
>
> I assume one branch per feature/ticket, plus maybe a meta branch for
> integration test?
>
> I'd imagined people would still like one (or more) commit per feature.

Herein lies the experiment :-)

Speaking personally, simply having a patch applied and available in a
git branch doesn't actually make my job any easier. It's just as easy
for me to apply a patch from trac - possibly easier, since I don't
have to spend as much time gardening my git remotes.

I was thinking more of having one person at the sprint to take the
role of integrator - that is, the patches still go up on trac, but one
trusted person at the sprint takes the role of lieutenant for the
sprint, and selects patches that they consider trunk-ready. The end
deliverable is a branch that a core developer could theoretically just
git merge and push to SVN. In practice, there will probably be further
review by the core, but the idea is to provide a single rich vein of
high quality patches.

Of course, I'm open to any other suggestions. Like I said, this is an
experiment - if it works, we can repeat it, or we can improve on it as
we go forward.

Russ %-)