On Jan 4, 2:45 pm, Jordan Christensen <thebi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a good way to make it forward upgradeable? Allow the
> developer to decide on the shorter SHA-1 hash or the (theoretically)
> more secure SHA-256?

There is - we can expand the BACKEND setting which is already in place
for signed cookies (but not for other clients of the Signer class). I
think we should do this. For one thing, it would mean we could provide
a backend which uses the Google keyczar Python library instead of the
code that we write. keyczar is properly audited, but depends on
PyCrypto so isn't appropriate as a required dependency of Django.

Another thing we can do is use SHA-256 but truncate the HMAC to 128
characters. Apparently it's perfectly fine to do this - it's being
discussed in the programming.reddit thread at the moment.