On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, thinking out loud here, I know the DSF has a policy of hands of in
> the development of Django, but I was thinking (out loud) that perhaps
> it would be sensible for the DSF to hire someone to do a security
> audit of some of this stuff.  I have 0 clue about the particulars of
> how anything like that works, but it was just a thought that occurred
> to me.

The policy isn't exactly "hands off;" it's just that the DSF has no
interest in driving the development of Django. But the DSF certain can
(and in my opinion should) pay for services like this *if* the
development team and community thinks it's necessary.

That said, I think the idea's probably a non-starter. First, like
Tobias (see below) I tend to highly believe in the mantra of many
eyeballs, so I'd argue that an expert review in no way absolves of the
need for open peer review. However, it would tend to discourage
community review -- paid work almost always discourages volunteers --
and would thus be a net loss. Second, from a more pragmatic point of
view, my impression is that anyone who's actually worth paying would
cost well beyond what the DSF could actually afford.

Don't mean to shoot you down, though, and I *really* like the
precedent you're setting by bringing this up. The main reason I wanted
to have a DSF in the first place was so that we could have options
like this. Even if we don't use the option this time (and I think we
shouldn't) it's good for the community to know that it's available.

Jacob