> > I much prefer the @render_to() syntax. This way, I can think of my
> > view functions as "context variable creators", instead of "response
> > returners". I think of view functions as a sort of context processor
> > thats only meant for one specific template.
>
> I'm in complete agreement with Simon on this point. I fail to see the
> benefit of decorators in this context. However, it's easy to find
> several negative points:
>
>  * The "accept a request, return a response"  view contract makes
> sense, and is consistent with other layers in the Django stack.
>  * Special handling is required in the decorator when a view needs to
> return HttpResponseRedirect (or any other non-template-rendered
> response). This says nothing for the case where you need to return a
> non-200 response *and* templated content.

I actually just checked one of my views, and the version of @render_to
that comes with django-annoying does indeed let you return
ResponseRedirect objects. For an example, look at this code:

http://github.com/nbv4/flightloggin/blob/master/logbook/views.py

which is currently in production and it works fine. If request.POST
exists, it will save a form and then issue a ResponseRedirect,
otherwise, it'll create some variables and then return locals(), which
the decorator will then handle.

>  * The return value for views becomes a tuple with a convention,
> rather than an explicit single (response) object.

I don't understand this part. tuples? With the decorator views return
dictionaries.

> So - I'm fairly confident in saying that this isn't going to happen in
> Django trunk.

Fine with me. Either I import it from annoying.decorators or
django.shortcuts, it don't make no difference to me...