On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 12:40 pm, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Alex - there's a lot more detail needed here. How will I
>> get access to the App instance that a model belongs to? How will
>> legacy attributes like db_prefix be proxied? What is the order of
>> precedence when a model and an app disagree on db_prefix?
>>

> Agreed that a more detailed specification is required, but wouldn't at
> least some of that detailing be part of the actual GSoC work?

It's fair to assume that there will always be *some* details that are
worked out as part of the GSoC work. My intention isn't to try and
nail down all the details before the project starts - it's to try and
work out how much Arthur has thought about the problem, and how well
he can communicate what he is thinking.

The GSoC application process is a lot like a job interview. Although
Django itself isn't paying the stipend to students, we are going to
commit a lot of resources to mentoring a student. As a result, we
aren't going to take on students just to make up the numbers. Asking
questions like this one allows me to kill 3 birds with 1 stone - I get
to improve the design, *and* I get to see the design skills of the
prospective student in action, *and* I get to see how well the
prospective student is able to communicate those designs to the wider
community.

>> For the record - I don't think the "multiple versions of a single app"
>> problem is one worth solving. I'm not even convinced it can be solved
>> at all, for all the reasons Florian identified, and then some.
>
> I agree, but IIRC it was quoted as one reason why this feature was
> left out of the running in the recent Django revisions. It doesn't
> make a lot of sense to me for any app where models are concerned, and
> I believe there would be no point in duplicating the models for
> multiple instances of an app.

Not to my reading. The reason for rejection at official voting has
always been "incomplete design". I can see that the subject of
multi-deployed apps has come up in the past, but it's also been
identified as a *hard* problem, and possibly one that doesn't need
solving. Unless someone can provide a particularly compelling use
case, I'm inclined to put it on the ignore pile.

>> Although it may have been part of the original use case for #3591,
>> much of that use case has since been replaced by namespaced URLs and
>> class-based applications. If you're going to tackle this problem, I'd
>> rather see you concentrate on issues like:
>
> Class-based applications? Can someone point me to some of those?

django.contrib.admin is the most notable example.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)