Personally, I solved this by writing a wrapper around
django.utils.cache that can be dropped in transparently. It was a
really simple matter to have it take a cache prefix (in my case from
settings.py) and pass that into the original functions.

It's a pretty easy fix if the core team agrees that it's useful. Seems
like the debate might be more around adding another setting for it/
where/how to manage that prefix.

All the best,

    - Gabriel