Hi all,

While we support PostgreSQL, our documentation doesn't actually
specify a minimum supported version. We have a couple of features that
are no-ops for versions prior to 8.2 (savepoints and database
autocommit), but we don't actually document a minimum required
version.

We have a specified minimum of SQLite 3.3.6 and Oracle 9i (10g for
certain features); we have a vague suggestion that MySQL 4.1 is the
minimum supported version (but we don't rule out support for 3.23 and
4.0); but what is our policy with PostgreSQL? Do we support PostgreSQL
7.4?

PostgreSQL 7.4 was released in November 2005, and will be end-of-lifed
(along with PostgreSQL 8.0) in July this year. Our usual yardstick of
slow updates, RHEL4, shipped with PostgreSQL 7.4. RHEL5 shipped with
PostgreSQL 8.1.

Why am I asking? Because of r13328. In that changeset, I added a fix
for #8901 using a database function that is available in PostgreSQL
8.0, but not in PostgreSQL 7.4.

So - I'm looking for community opinion on how to deal with this. I can
see (at least) three options:

 1) Rollback the changeset, and find a PostgreSQL 7.4-compatible way
of solving the problem. Continue to support PostgreSQL 7.4, and
formally document this fact.

 2) Add documentation for 1.3 that imposes a PostgreSQL 8.0 minimum;
rollback r13328, wait until the 1.3 branch is forked, and reapply to
that branch. In other words treat #8901 as a feature, rather than a
bugfix, and introduce the Python 8.0 minimum as a new restriction for
1.3, much in the same way that we dropped support for Python 2.3 in
Django 1.2.

 3) Retroactively modify the documentation saying Django 1.2 required
PostgreSQL 8.0 as a minimum. This treats the absence of a documented
minimum required version as a bug, and addresses the bug by picking a
minimum supported version that. r13328 stays as is.

Our general policy for deprecating old dependencies is something we
need to have a bigger discussion about -- especially as it relates to
Python itself -- but this PostgreSQL issue is immediate and pressing.
I certainly hope that any reasoning behind the decision we make for
PostgreSQL could be generalized to answer the same question for any
other dependency.

Opinions?

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)