On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
<freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PostgreSQL 7.4 was released in November 2005, and will be end-of-lifed
> (along with PostgreSQL 8.0) in July this year. Our usual yardstick of
> slow updates, RHEL4, shipped with PostgreSQL 7.4. RHEL5 shipped with
> PostgreSQL 8.1.

And IIRC RedHat *will* support newer versions of PostgreSQL even on
RHEL4. I don't know a single person, even those still on RHEL4, who
are using anything under PostgreSQL 8. PostgreSQL 8.1 is easily twice
as fast as 7.4; that's usually enough to get folks to upgrade :)

>  1) Rollback the changeset, and find a PostgreSQL 7.4-compatible way
> of solving the problem. Continue to support PostgreSQL 7.4, and
> formally document this fact.
>
>  2) Add documentation for 1.3 that imposes a PostgreSQL 8.0 minimum;
> rollback r13328, wait until the 1.3 branch is forked, and reapply to
> that branch. In other words treat #8901 as a feature, rather than a
> bugfix, and introduce the Python 8.0 minimum as a new restriction for
> 1.3, much in the same way that we dropped support for Python 2.3 in
> Django 1.2.
>
>  3) Retroactively modify the documentation saying Django 1.2 required
> PostgreSQL 8.0 as a minimum. This treats the absence of a documented
> minimum required version as a bug, and addresses the bug by picking a
> minimum supported version that. r13328 stays as is.

If we'd thought of it, dropping 7.4 support in 1.2 would have been the
right thing to do. However, retroactively doing so now would be abuse
of the time machine privileges and I'd like to avoid being grounded.
#1's not worth the effort, so that just leaves #2, which sounds about
right to me.

Jacob