On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Mark Bucciarelli <mkb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
> <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
>>
>> It appears that MonetDB is behaving the same way as PostgreSQL. The
>> right approach in the test is to catch the exception and roll back the
>> cursor.
>>

> In 1.2 I see full_clean() and ValidationError let's
> me handle this in application code in a way that
> is independent of the backend.
>
> Is there a 1.1 way to do this so I don't have to
> know the backend so I can catch the right
> exception?
>
> I couldn't figure out anyway to do this inside
> the db driver.

1.1 provides an alias for the underlying database IntegrityError and
DatabaseError. This means you can import

from django.db import IntegrityError

which allows you to catch IntegrityError (as in, you can have a
try/except block and you don't need to change code on a per-backend
basis), but you can't rely on the internal implementation of the
exception being consistent.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)