> I haven't seen django-datatrans before. Does it play well with the
> Django ORM querying style? The other registration based apps don't.
>
> - hejsan

It does nothing at the ORM layer, it only comes in action on the model
instances, when accessing their fields.

django-datatrans was kept very simple: it mimics the behavior of the
gettext po-files, like the i18n app from django. It looks for
translatable strings, puts them in a lookup table, that can in turn be
easily translated. Instead of putting {% trans "" %} around all your
strings, you say "this model contains these translatable fields", and
datatrans scrapes the contents of those fields and make them
translatable. In fact, our first model translation solution was a
script that scraped the model content and put all translatable strings
in a .txt file with {% blocktrans %} around them.

Creating this app proved more efficient to our company than
restructuring and possibly rewriting our apps as well as third party
apps. The only disadvantage is the extra lookup, but by using django's
caching mechanism we try to overcome that inefficiency. Django's i18n
app and gettext also have to lookup and cache translations. I don't
see the difference. Our ISP website, mobilevikings.com, is required to
be completely multilingual, in three languages. In the releasing
process of a new feature, we have a translators team that use the
included admin tool from datatrans intensively.

I think that if you want to create a website with 30 or more
languages, the approach of one-instance-for-each-language is more
usable indeed. But if you have an huge, live system with a lot of apps
that work together, and only need to support a handful of languages,
django-datatrans might be a good option.

I suggest you take a look at the source, especially here:

http://github.com/citylive/django-datatrans/blob/master/datatrans/utils.py