Hi everyone,

I think thumbnailing functionality is much closer to django core
rather than to django.contrib, and that is the most important reason
for inclusion.

Django provides ImageField out of the box, but why it doesn't provide
ThumbnailImageField out of the box?
Django provides  {% lorem %} tag, but why it doesn't provide {%
thumbnail %} tag?

Thumbnails are very common pattern.

Maybe this application (easy_thumbnails) is not the best choice, but
the general idea of having good and popular reusable thumbnail
solution distributed with django is very attractive to me.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Justin Lilly <jus...@justinlilly.com> wrote:
> One of the criteria for django.contrib is that the item for inclusion
> is a "de facto standard implementation of common patterns"[0]. From
> your own admittance there are conflicting views about how this should
> be handled. Perhaps if someone abstracts this out a bit and has
> something like image processing backends, it may make a bit more sense
> for inclusion, but as it stands, I'm -1.
>
>  -justin
>
> [0]: http://jacobian.org/writing/what-is-django-contrib/
>
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM, ptone <pres...@ptone.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sep 16, 9:43 am, Patrick Altman <palt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Another "community voice" contribution on this thread...
>>>
>>> I am of the opposite opinion.  I think it would be better for Django as a
>>> whole if django.contrib approached zero.  In fact, I would have no problem
>>> with seeing it go away completely and promote auth and sessions to core but
>>> done in a way that is pluggable.  The reasoning behind this opinion is that
>>> it leaves the surface area in the project smaller to maintain and it's
>>> really not that hard to add a sorl-thumbnail external app to a Django
>>> project.  Furthermore, it provides more freedom for these apps to mature
>>> and develop at their own pace.
>>>
>>> I realize I could very well be in a minority opinion here, but thought I'd
>>> throw it into the mix nonetheless.
>>
>> Another vote for evolving away from contrib.
>>
>> My hope is that one day http://djangopackages.com/ will become
>> packages.djangoproject.com
>>
>> (and along with that a management command startapp-dist which starts a
>> distributable skeleton)
>>
>> -Preston

>> --

Best regards, Yuri V. Baburov, ICQ# 99934676, Skype: yuri.baburov,
MSN: bu...@live.com