Although thumbnails are something *many* sites do, everyone have
wildly different requirements, and therefore, different solutions. Two
simple requirements that vary so much that makes impossible to have a
"standard" for thumbnails:

- The API for making thumbnails. Is it a backend class? Is it a
template tag? Is it a specially crafted URL with GET params, or maybe
REST?
- The storage for the thumbnails. Local files? S3 storage? Rackspace
Cloud Files? Maybe a cache backend? Something weird? And how to
invalidate cache images? Clean the cache if the original is gone?

As such, IMO is too hard to ship something so big and so opinionated
as a thumbnails solution on contrib. It's also so decoupled from
Django internals (it should depend just on a File object, and maybe
provide template tags) that it can live as a separate module just
fine.

Please consider Django aim is to be a framework, not a generic turn-
key solution for making sites (although it's easy to get started).