How it's better from both of the following:

1)
try:
    from dev_settings import *
except ImportError:
   pass

2)
if DEBUG:
    from dev_settings import *

Because to have "project.is_dev" you'll have to write it somewhere already!

It's bootstrapping problem.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Yo-Yo Ma <baxterstock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I read that article. The problem is that it's deployment specific. I
> dint even know what host name "omh.cc" is, but I have a feeling that
> you couldn't work on that from your laptop to your desktop without
> changing something. What I propose isn't a is_production variable. I'm
> proposing an explicit is_development variable so that I can choose my
> settings "explicitly" instead of trying to import something and then
> something else if that's not there. That is very un-pythonic. If I can
> say something to the effect of:
>
> if project.is_dev:
>    import dev_settings
> else:
>    # is live
>
> just example. I'm not suggesting "project" as a global. It's just to
> show the type of setting I want.
>
> That's much cleaner, and far more explicit than "import os, socket,
> etc".
>

> On Sep 23, 7:41 pm, Yo-Yo Ma <baxterstock...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the link David. I'm gonna check it it now.
>>
>> On Sep 23, 6:16 pm, "David P. Novakovic" <davidnovako...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > This link and the comments suggest some good stuff... particularly the
>> > comment from Malcolm and the original post.
>>
>> >http://www.protocolostomy.com/2009/08/17/django-settings-in-dev-and-p...

Best regards, Yuri V. Baburov, ICQ# 99934676, Skype: yuri.baburov,
MSN: bu...@live.com