> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Andrew Godwin <and...@aeracode.org> wrote:

> I'd just like to add more noise to the signal and reiterate this - storing
> state on self (or request) leads to much cleaner, less fragile, more
> subclassable views (in my own experience, having written both a set of
> generic views with and without state like this).
>

> I personally think self is the place to store this state (since, as Russ
> keeps saying, that's how nearly all Python classes do it), but storing it on
> request isn't too bad - it just "feels" more wrong to me, but then,
> middleware does it already.

I haven't picked up the brush/spraycan yet, preferring instead to allow
those smarter than me to decide the color scheme for this particular bike
shed.  :-)

Seriously though, the key considerations and points made in this thread need
to be extracted and put somewhere in the django docs, preferably in a place
that doesn't distract a brand new user but also gets read soon after they
complete the tutorial and begin digging a little deeper.  Knowing the design
considerations that went into whatever path is taken is, IMHO, invaluable.

I am willing to do the work to make that happen if nobody else is
interested.  I have not yet contributed to the corpus of django
documentation, but perhaps this an opportunity to do so.

>  However, subjectivity isn't going to win through here. Either solution is
> fine, just don't force me to pass everything around as arguments between
> functions. That's not looking likely, but some people here seen to want to
> have that kind of purity at the expense of usability - dammit, Jim, I'm an
> engineer, not a mathematician.

+1

--
Warren Smith