Hi Yuri,

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM, burc...@gmail.com <burc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Waldemar,
>
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Waldemar Kornewald
> <wkornew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Carl,
>>
>>> As I read it, your option 4 means putting URLs into CSS files that
>>> will not resolve correctly if static files are served directly,
>>> unmodified, from their source locations (after being collected from
>>> apps) under STATICFILES_URL (because the URLs you give don't begin
>>> with a slash, so they will be interpreted as relative to the current
>>> location; and if they did begin with a slash, that would break anytime
>>> STATICFILES_URL is not a path-less domain). In other words, you are
>>> proposing to write CSS files that _depend_ on being run through some
>>> kind of combiner/compressor/filter that will intelligently rewrite all
>>> their URLs relative to STATICFILES_URL. As a proposal for a
>>> "standard," this is a non-starter for several reasons:
> Do you agree with that "you are proposing to write CSS files that
> _depend_ on being run through some kind of combiner/compressor/filter
> that will intelligently rewrite all their URLs relative to
> STATICFILES_URL"?

I keep getting misunderstood, so I'll just simplify it. Forget all my
proposals. My primary proposal is:
"Let's have exactly one official standard, no matter if it's (2) or (4)."
What I don't want is (1), (2), and (4) living side-by-side as they do now.

Do you agree that we should have a standard?

If the answer is "yes", then which one should it be?
A: (4) for CSS and Sass/etc.
B: (2) for CSS, (4) for Sass/etc.

> If you do, then you understand that you're trying to impose a standard
> for django users that is really unnecessary for them?
> You're free to allow such perversion with your app, but please don't
> try to put this into django.
>
> Why can't you read css files, transform their paths to absolute, merge
> files, and then write paths back as relative to merged files?

That's method (2) which only works well for CSS.

Bye,
Waldemar

--
Django on App Engine, MongoDB, ...? Browser-side Python? It's open-source:
http://www.allbuttonspressed.com/blog/django