Hi Waldemar,

> A standard for a problem related to Django: How can we have reusable
> apps that come with media files? How is that possible if everyone uses
> a different asset manager?
Ok, this is a problem related to Django, but it shouldn't be solved
with scope of Django because nothing in Django depends on this
decision. Now it is better?

> Unless I've misunderstood something, the Django team added
> django.contrib.staticfiles exactly because this app is supposed to
> solve the reusable-apps-with-media-files problem. We need a standard
> URL rewriting scheme for this.
>> Related to your media compressor, i'd prefer not (2) or (4), i prefer
>> this one I described above:
>> 1. Your compressor starts after media is gathered with staticfiles
>> into a single place. (All relative paths are valid at this moment!)
>> 2. You read css files, transform their url paths to absolute, merge
>> files, and then write back into user specified directory with paths
>> rewritten as relative to merged files location.
>> 3. If you're copying images, you can put images to whatever folder you
>> want, but they should still work.
>> Your compressor should make it possible to work after your compression
>> if you'll just put that folder to media server.
>
> This is method (2). :)
> It rewrites the URLs relative to the source files before merging
> (which is your step 2).
>
>> That way, every compressor is compatible with each other if their
>> output is set to compressor-specific folder.
>> This doesn't impose any standard of writing urls in their files on
>> django users -- they do what they did before they have any staticfiles
>> support.
>
> You say that you don't want a standard, but what you describe in your
> mail is a standard. :) What else would you call your three
> instructions above? They describe how to rewrite URLs according to
> (2).
I clearly said it's my preference.

> If you still don't agree then see it for yourself: Try to use
> *exactly* the same reusable app with *exactly* the same CSS files with
> three different asset managers which combine those app CSS files into
> a single file. Tell me if it works. You'll see it's impossible.
Who said this should work?

I understand you wants to get everyone happy, by taking a decision
instead of users.

--
Best regards, Yuri V. Baburov, ICQ# 99934676, Skype: yuri.baburov,
MSN: bu...@live.com