On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Paul McMillan <p...@mcmillan.ws> wrote:
> In general, it would be helpful to have an auto-responder on that
> address (so we know our reports didn't end up in a spambox), and a
> more specific timeframe for expected response noted on the website.
> It's great to have the list, but if a response really is going to take
> a week, it would be helpful to note that somewhere so reporters don't
> worry that their report has gone to a black hole.

I'd argue that an autoresponder is almost exactly what we *don't*
need. An autoreponder can give the illusion of that a message has been
received when it's really just a robot going through the motions. The
worst possible situation would be an autoreponse message that says
"We're looking into it" when the message has actually fallen into the
bit bucket.

The real solution here is to make sure that the security mailing list
is sufficiently well staffed that no message goes 24 hours without
getting a response from a live human being. We (the core team) are
aware that responses haven't been as prompt as they should be over the
last 6 months or so, and we're looking into ways of improving this
situation.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)