On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Jamie Rumbelow <ja...@jamierumbelow.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
> Kevin's got a point, and actually, why aren't Django's components abstracted
> as a generic rule? Things like django.contrib.session and
> django.contrib.comments could be easily abstracted to allow for pluggable
> drivers into other backends quite easily. It'd be easy to make
> backward-compatible and would be VERY helpful.

Well, contrib.sessions is already pluggable -- that's what the
SESSION_ENGINE setting is for.

As for other contrib apps -- the reason is that either they're not
inherently pluggable (e.g., webdesign), or that nobody has made the
suggestion, or that nobody has done the work to make them pluggable.

I'm generally in favor of anything that introduces a pluggable backend
API that allows end-users to extend the functionality of Django's
core. However, it's impossible to make any judgement in the absence of
a specific API proposal. It's extremely easy to say "this can be done
in a backwards compatible fashion". It's another thing entirely to put
the effort into actually building a backwards-compatible patch.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)