On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Christopher Petrilli <petri...@amber.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> First comment is that Django already has a pluggable authentication
>> stack, which already allows for this - simply define a new auth
>> backend that tests the password in the manner you wish.
>
> My understanding of the pluggable authentication system is that it's
> for situations where you need a totally different authentication
> mechanism, such as LDAP. Simply replacing the crypto mechanism for the
> default authentication system should not require developing a lot of
> pieces. It is something that needs to be upgraded on an ongoing basis
> for everyone. It's simply best practices.

It doesn't 'require developing a lot of pieces'. Have you even tried
implementing this in the current stack?

At the moment, a typical setup has AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS set to
('django.contrib.auth.backends.ModelBackend',). Changing how passwords
are tested simply requires a different backend, typically derived from
ModelBackend, that overrides the authenticate method.

Is that a lot of pieces, or one small one?

> The federal government already forbids use of SHA-1 after 2010.
>
>> It doesn't allow for this with the default authenticator, but it is
>> doable. I have a django project with >100k users, and none of them
>> have a sha1 hash as their password.
>
> I won't comment on the wisdom of this, but I'd not use it as an
> example of why we don't need to provide flexibility to improve
> security.
>
> Chris

Wow, that's a thing to say. Your federal government forbids SHA-1, I
don't use SHA-1, but you "won't comment on the wisdom of this"? Let's
try to keep it civil without casting FUD and aspersions around, eh.

We already have flexibility to implement security in any manner that
you can think of. I'm looking for the argument that says 'This current
flexibility is not enough, and we need to re-architecture', and I
don't think that has been made.

Cheers

Tom