Dear Eduardo,

the idea of a salt is only to make certain that two users who happen to use the same password (123456, anyone?) don't end up with the same hash in order to make a pre-computation (password lists or rainbow tables) infeasible. yet given the short salts in django, it's not really unlikely that two users will not share the same salt as well as password. Also keep in mind that, due to the Birthday Paradoxon, a hash with N bits only has odds of 1:2^(N/2) instead of 1:2^N for a collision to occur.

Hope that clears up things a little bit :)

coh