On 2/4/11 8:17 PM, Carl Meyer wrote:
That said, I think it's a reasonable feature request. But I don't
think defining the ManyToManyField on both models, with some kind of
"abstract" flag on one side, is the right feature request. There's no
reason it should have to be redundantly defined on both models.
Rather, I think it would be ideal if the admin supported including a
reverse m2m descriptor in its "fields" or "fieldsets" list, and then
could provide an m2m widget for it.

If you file a Trac issue with this feature request, I can't commit to
writing the patch to make it happen, but if you or someone else puts
together a reasonable patch for it (barring another core dev putting
forward a sensible objection to it that I'm not seeing), I'd be happy
to review and commit it (we're talking about post-1.3 at this point,
of course).
I'm doing pretty well in the schedule for this project, so I'll see if I can't get a workable patch done to submit back. If not, then I'll go file the feature request.

--
Mike Lindsey