Hi Russell, here are my thoughts on your points:

1. I do believe there should be something enabled by default. Some
security conscious developers will go out of there way to integrate a
third party plugin but I believe (and I may be wrong) that many
developers just assume the out-of-the-box authentication is secure
enough to meet their needs. I say this after 6.5 years of application
security consulting and addressing common misconceptions about web app
frameworks repeatedly over the years. This thread has shown that there
has indeed been some policy debate, however I think you'll notice in
the thread Shawn was simply referring to an audit finding - probably
taken from a checklist audit - but as Richard and Emil (and others in
the previous thread) point out this could actually lead to a DoS
vulnerability without appropriate monitoring. I'd strongly advocate
using a throttling mechanism, with the ability to turn it off and
replace with a third party plug-in if somebody desires.

2. I don't have an immediate answer on this. We can investigate and
come up with a proposal before we start developing / integrating

3. I think the the hashing talk was specifically about stolen stored
credentials - in particular, about being able to determine many
passwords from a table of stolen hashes. For brute force protection
against a single account, you'd have a very slow authentication
process to make it infeasible for somebody to try the top 500
passwords on a single user account. For example, if it took 3 seconds
per authentication it would take less than half an hour to perform
this brute forcing (http://www.whatsmypass.com/the-top-500-worst-
passwords-of-all-time) using http://sectools.org/crackers.html.