On Sunday, March 20, 2011, daonb <bennyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the middle of re-factoring a pretty active open parliament
> project into 1.3. I've been an early adaptor of class based views,
> using it of Jacob's fork.
>
> Migration to the beta was quite smooth except for two names that broke
> my code: `pk` & `get_context_data`. The first comes from `models` and
> is now used instead of `object_id` in urls and views. It also broke
> compatibility with django-backlinks and I was forced to support both
> `pk` and `object_id` in the view wrapper, ugly. The second name can be
> rinsed and lose it's last 5 chars.

Hi Benny,

Thanks for the feedback. However, I'm a little confused as to what you
are proposing.

The names used by the generic views are (as far as I am aware)
internally consistent within the views, and with the old generic
views. The choice to use pk instead of object_id was quite deliberate,
because every object responds to pk, but not necessarily to id.

Compatibility with third party libraries isn't really a consideration
unless the general community has converged on a convention which a new
Django feature has blindly ignored. In this case, I would argue that
pk is the convention, and Django-backlinks is in need of an update.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)