On Mar 16, 12:11 am, Tai Lee <real.hu...@mrmachine.net> wrote:
> Assuming that any authenticated user might be an attacker who has
> brute forced a password and presenting obscure error messages to
> authenticated users is not helping anybody.

I agree with this, and with the many people in this thread who have
come to the conclusion that there is no significant security benefit
to the obfuscated error message here. So I would be +1 to change it.

However, if there are core devs who still feel that there's some
security issue here (Russell?), Paul presented early on what I think
is a pretty good compromise: keep the error message the same in all
cases, but append "or you don't have permission to log in here." so it
actually covers the possible cases and isn't quite so misleading. I
think that change should be uncontroversial.

Carl