On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Graham Dumpleton
<graham.dumple...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In short, it is all a mess and trying to provide support for it in one bit
> of code is possibly asking a bit much.

One possible solution would be to split the problem up a bit. Django
could provide an HttpFileResponse object. This would use the new lazy
response mechanism in 1.3 to render the file locally (by doing a naive
open/read) on demand. But then we could also ship a collection of
middleware classes that know how to translate a HttpFileResponse for
each various backend (FileResponseToXSendFile, FileResponseToXAccell,
etc). Users could then select the correct piece of middleware for
their upstream server or write their own for ones not supported out of
the box.

The nice thing about this approach is that it could be explored as a
third-party app and made available to anyone using 1.3 or above.

Can anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work? Want to throw some
code together and give it a try?

Jacob