Am 17.04.2011 um 01:30 schrieb Carl Meyer:

> So - do we (A) fix the behavior to match our documented semantics, note
> it in the release notes, and hope for the best? Or (B) bow to
> backwards-compatibility and change the documentation to match the actual
> behavior? Or (C) find some middle ground (a deprecation path for the
> current behavior)?

I'd vote for (C).
Deprecate `use_for_related_fields` and always use the default manager for
related managers. Then add the possibility to specify custom mangers for
individual relations:

     ForeignKey(Foo, related_manager=RSpecialManager)
     ManyToManyField(Foo, manager=SpecialManger, related_manager=
RSpecialManager)

More fine grained control would especially be useful for subclasses of
ForeignKey and ManyToManyField fields.
It comes at the expense of verbosity, but it appears to be a rarely used
feature (given that the bug was discovered only now). And thus, explicitness
might actually be a good idea.

<pet-peeve-rant>And it would be a step towards discouraging use of multiple
managers.</pet-peeve-rant>

__
Johannes