Hi folks --

We have a chronic problem: our new ticket review queue. We get roughly
50 new tickets each week, and we typically don't keep up with this
flow very well. Eventually, someone (Hi, Russ!) takes it on himself to
review the massive backlog, but that's damned painful.

Right now we only have 60 unreviewed tickets in the queue, so now's a
great time to get on top of this problem for once and for all.
Everyone on this list is qualified to help. Please read on to see how,
and the "prize" bit is at the bottom.

For the most part, reviewing these types tickets is an easy process.
Reviewers need to do the following:

* Verify that the reported problem is actually a bug or feature
request. Sometimes people end up at the ticket system when they should
be asking for help on django-users, so they need to be pointed in that
direction. Other times there's not enough information on the ticket to
reproduce it. But most of the time, it's really a bug or feature
request, and a quick comment saying "I can confirm this is a bug"
*really* helps when it comes time to try to fix the problem.

* Make sure the ticket's not a duplicate by searching the tracker for
existing tickets of the same nature.

* Make sure the metadata (ticket type, component, etc.) is correct.

* Move the ticket along the process (probably into into the "accepted"
or "design decision" stages).

It takes me about 5 minutes to review most unreviewed tickets. A few
take longer, but most are pretty quick. Again, this is totally
something anyone here can do. Yeah, you might run into a ticket you
just don't get, and it's fine to skip in and move along. Remember that
there's help in IRC (#django-dev) nearly all the time, though.

Of course, I'd be lying if I said that this was a whole lot of fun, so
here's where the prize bit comes in:

Starting right now, I'm offering a 5-for-1 deal on reviews. If you
have a ticket, patch, or feature request that you'd like *me* to
review, simply review 5 unreviewed tickets then post your review
request on this list with "[5-for-1]" in the subject. I'll prioritize
*your* request the next time I work on Django.

Of course, I encourage other core developers, and anyone else who's
capable, to join me in prioritizing these "5-for-1" requests, but this
isn't a BDFL action or anything -- just my way of trying to keep the
unreviewed queue as low as possible.

Jacob