Hi Tino,

On 04/20/2011 05:14 PM, TiNo wrote:
> It takes me, being a newbie at reviewing tickets, quite some more time.
> Would you (or any other core dev / speed reviewer) mind sharing your
> workflow? Any scripts to create environments at certain revisions or
> something alike? Or to quickly run the relevant tests?

It takes me longer than 5 mins per ticket, too. I tend to dive in pretty
deep to make sure I'm understanding the full context for a ticket before
accepting it. That said, here are some things I do for convenience; some
of them may be obvious:

- I have virtualenvs for all supported Python versions (2.4-2.7; trunk
has dropped 2.4 support, but I still may need it for backports), and
each one has my development copy of Django already installed in it (with
"pip install -e ." so it's actually using the working tree code and will
see my changes). Combined with "git checkout" this covers "creating
environments at certain revisions".

- I have stock settings modules for running the tests with each database
I have available (MySQL, SQLite3, Postgres), and I actually have these
packaged up with a setup.py and also installed in each Django-dev
virtualenv (with "pip install -e") so they're always on sys.path and
accessible as "testconf.sqlite" etc.

- I have a bare-bones "test project" with a settings module that has the
admin in INSTALLED_APPS and set up in urls.py, and an installed
"testapp" that already has __init__.py, models.py, and admin.py. So for
those cases where I need to try out something manually (often in the
admin), it's just a matter of copy-pasting some things into the
models.py and admin.py, syncing the db, and firing up runserver. And I
actually have this version-controlled so I can commit the "manual test"
setup for a given bug (in a branch named with the ticket number) in case
I need it later for working on the bug.

HTH,

Carl