Mikhail, et. al.,

I also love the vibe of the django community.  I did not mean, when
writing that line, to put down other communities; I was glad when I
found Django to be greeted by language that did not put down other
frameworks or their philosophies.   Nevertheless, I think that the
language in question is an empirically testable and true statement.
The inverse is also true: Some frameworks, for some use cases, have
distinct and measurable advantages over Django.

I'm not defending the language as it's written - by all means let's
change it.  However, I do think that it's worth mentioning, somehow,
that Django excels in certain areas and that those areas are largely
the result of sensible underlying philosophies.  I think that this
point answers a front-running question in the mind of project managers
who are considering framework adoption.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Julien Phalip <jpha...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> On 26 August 2011 07:55, Amirouche Boubekki <amirouche.boube...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2011/8/25 Mikhail Korobov <kmik...@googlemail.com>
>>

>>> There are many big and well-known sites built with django and I think
>>> mentioning these sites and providing testimonials from people working on
>>> these sites can be better advertisement.
>>
>> Yes and no. Advertising on big websites & applications powered by django
>> would be a plus but it can be misleading. I think anybody could agree that
>> this same applications could have been done in PHP or Flask with the same
>> success (see Facebook ?).
>
> While there are successful and large websites out there built with any
> technology under the sun, I believe it is important to show that you *can*
> use Django to build such sites. Nobody will trust that you are
> webscale™ until you can show some concrete evidence of it :-)
> Seeing that there are successful and large websites built with Django
> certainly isn't enough to convince someone but it isn't just a plus either.
> It is rather the *bare minimum* one needs to be reassured that they're not
> wasting their time learning this new framework.
>

>> Engineers and people that take decisions in general want to know if it
>> gets things done, but also how does it compare to other solutions.
>> Comparing on features would be more engineer-minded that «How do you feel
>> about Django». Engineering is not about feelings, it's a complex choice that
>> weights pros & cons which can be technical but also social and commercial...
>>
>> In javascript world is common to compare frameworks based on speed, size,
>> we could extend this to common problems regarding website building like
>> cache management, authentication, authorization, L10N, I18N, db support,
>> professional support, community support and the like... and even do code to
>> code comparison if it makes sens.
>
> Comparisons are important but I'd rather encourage third parties to write
> them up. Comparisons can really only be trusted from people who have
> extended experience in all the compared frameworks and who do not appear
> biased towards one or another. One should always be cautious with
> websites/frameworks/products/whatever boasting that they are so much more
> awesome than the others :-)
> Julien

Justin Holmes

Head Instructor, SlashRoot Collective