I think it has been done on purpose, and should not be changed.
Because different authentication backends may choose to support
inactive users or not. And the default (ModelBackend) supports
inactive users which is expressed in
ModelBackend.supports_inactive_user = True. So I would suggest you
write a custom decorator.