On Sep 4, 12:44 pm, Reinout van Rees <rein...@vanrees.org> wrote:
> On 04-09-11 21:28, Reinout van Rees wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, from an object oriented viewpoint, the class based
> > views seem to be pretty powerless and non-object-oriented. To me, it
> > almost seems like they're artificially "castrated" to make function
> > views look good :-) That's probably not the intention, but...
>
> Ehm, the current classes based views are pretty good, apart from the
> view-not-in-context problem that I see.
>
> That's the one point on which I find those CBV's to be somewhat powerless.
>
> Upon re-reading it sounded a bit like I think the whole of class based
> views is powerless and bad, but that was *totally* not my intention :-)
> I love 'em :-)

This is probably an overly simplistic implementation, but would
something like this work, more broadly covering Jacob's concerns in
the ticket about template authors being able to shoot themselves in
the foot?  It seems less effective to mark all required methods with
alters_data, as this method also wouldn't prevent get(), post(), etc.
from being called in subclassed views (which could potentially
generate recursive loops).

https://github.com/tobiasmcnulty/django/compare/master...ticket-16744

On a side note, I noticed that get_context_data in TemplateView
behaves differently than all the others, as it puts kwargs in a
'params' variable instead of copying the kwargs directly into the
context.  Is this intentional?  I'm not super-familiar with class
based generic views, but it seemed odd to me.

Cheers,
Tobias