> I'd like to make a case to re-open ticket 13125.

Thanks for taking this to the mailing list rather than arguing in trac.

> I understand that changing the current behaviour is backwards-
> incompatible and therefor very unwanted. But, I'd say the current
> implementation is forward-incompatible: meaning that current and
> future users will stumble on something counter-intuitive and be amazed
> that an inactive user can pass a login_required.

No. Django makes an incredibly strong promise about backwards
compatibility to its users. Security releases are the ONLY reason we
modify behavior in backwards incompatible fashions, and we try very
hard to avoid that.

> For me, the current behaviour is contrary to most peoples expectation,
> and my proposal would be to make the backwards-incompatible change to
> make django more consistent (I might even say: more logical), which I
> think is a good thing.

Yeah, I agree that the current behavior is counter intuitive. It is an
oddity and a wart that exists.

> My proposal is also to add an active_or_inactive_login_required
> decorator (a better name is welcome) which just checks whether a user
> is authenticated; and then people could import that as login_required.

I wouldn't be opposed to an additional decorator which makes better
grammatical sense and does explicitly what you want. We just can't
change the behavior of the current one. If you can come up with two
new ones that make better sense there might be an argument for slowly
deprecating the existing one.

> The consequence is that some people would need to make a change to
> keep their code working in Django 1.4 , but it is my belief that this
> is only a small part of the Django population who have the skills to
> adapt and that it will have a benificial effect to most current and
> all future users.

No. We do not do this. Otherwise every release would end up stuffed
full of dozens of "tiny easy changes" which means nobody would bother
updating.

Regards,
-Paul