Very interesting / exciting.  I'm definitely +1 on this project - I
definitely have some of the "break hard" projects that Russell is
talking about and I'd love to have a more straightforward and
sustainable way to do introspection.

Let me know how I can help.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
<russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM, sebastien piquemal <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So - it's one of those things that *should* be documented and
>>> fomalized; it's just waiting on someone with the spare time to do the
>>> job.
>>
>> Sounds good ! Any estimation on how big is the cleaning task ? I know
>> documentation task can go forever :)
>
> About as long as this piece of string that I'm holding. Oh, wait - you
> can't see the string? Let me hold it up for you... :-)
>
> Seriously -- I can't really answer this. It's not a completely trivial
> task, but it's not complex on the order of "multi-db" or "no-sql
> support" either. The first step really is an audit -- a rough cut at
> documenting everything that is there at the moment. Once we have that,
> we can look at how the existing API is being used, and evaluate the
> cleanup opportunities.
>
> Once that's done, we'll be in a much better position to evaluation how
> much work is involved.
>
>> And what about the extra features I suggested ? A more user-friendly
>> way to get all -data- fields (including m2m, excluding pointers), an
>> easy way to get the name of the pk field of the first parent.
>> Or did I miss some methods/properties from the _meta API ?
>
> Off the top of my head, I can't answer this. It's *possible* that
> there might be some way to do this, but I'd need to go digging to work
> out for sure, and I can't refer to the documentation to find out
> easily :-)
>
> However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it isn't possible. The
> _meta API is mostly designed for Django's own internal needs, and
> Django needs to make a very clear distinction between fields and
> m2m's, forward and reverse fields, and so on; hence the distinctions
> that exist in the current API. "Iterating over all fields" doesn't
> make much sense from an internal perspective, because different types
> of fields need to be handled differently. Similarly, the "hidden" _ptr
> fields might not be important from a public visibility perspective,
> but they're very important from an internal perspective.
>
> That said, just because Django doesn't have a use for the API doesn't
> mean it wouldn't be useful. If you can propose a clean way to augment
> the _meta API to provide this sort of capability, I don't see any
> fundamental reason why it shoudn't be included.
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

Justin Holmes

Head Instructor, SlashRoot Collective