"""
As I said in the first message, to the best of my knowledge, there's
nothing insecure about the implementation now. The usage of signing to
validate pickles received directly by end users expands our reliance
on SECRET_KEY pretty heavily. This concerns me, which is why I brought
it up here.
"""

Isn't there also the possibility that the attacker can somehow get arbitrary
data signed into the session cookie without knowing SECRET_KEY? This could be
due to a bug in the session framework or the developer does something really
stupid. If this would be the case, then the bug would result in remote code
execution exploit instead of the user being able to manipulate his session.
Which sounds kinda scary.

If this is not changed to use JSON, there must be a warning that if the
attacker can somehow change the contents of the cookie while keeping it signed,
this results in remote exploit. One such way is knowing the SECRET_KEY.

My feeling is that this should be changed.

 - Anssi