On 10/21/2011 07:02 AM, Jim Dalton wrote:
> 1. Fixing #9249 and #15855. I hear your philosophical concerns about
> #9249 but the ubiquity of Google Analytics means we must do fine some
> way to fix it (IMO). Addressing these two tickets would at least
> ensure page caching wasn't actually broken. I'll try to jump in on
> those if I have time later next week. #9249 in particular seems quite
> close.
>
> 2. Clarifying the documentation. I think an admonition in the page
> caching section of the docs which outlined the present challenges a
> developer might face implementing it would probably have done the
> trick for me when I was first glancing at it. I can open a ticket on
> that next week, again if I have time.
>
> It'd be great if these two got in for 1.4.

Agreed - any work you're able to put in on any of these is very welcome.

> 3. Addressing the other stuff is I guess for now a sort of "some day"
> goal. I continue to feel strongly that it's a worthy goal,
> particularly given that CSRF and contrib.auth are such fundamental
> parts of most projects and that they really are the only two things
> that stand in the way of page caching being a viable option in many
> projects. If anyone else gets inspired by this goal let me know,
> otherwise I'm content for the time being to let it stew.

I take your point that it might be possible to do a cache-tweaking API
that could allow the cache to be more aggressive around auth and CSRF
with less coupling (though you'd still end up sprinkling cache-specific
stuff into auth and CSRF with your approach). I remain pretty skeptical
about whether this is a good idea; it seems like it could significantly
increase the surface area for bugs in the cache middleware
implementation, and just generally make the implementation harder to
maintain with correct behavior. (I have some painful experience in this
area: CACHE_MIDDLEWARE_ANONYMOUS_ONLY is the one existing, and
relatively simple, instance of the type of enhanced caching logic you're
talking about, and I made some fixes to it in the 1.3 cycle that I then
later had to fix again due to unanticipated side effects of the first
change). But at this point this is all kind of hand-waving without code
to look at.

You might also consider what's possible to do outside of core as a
third-party alternative to Django's caching middleware. When you're
proposing major and somewhat experimental changes, that can be a
powerful way to demonstrate that the idea is workable, and makes it a
lot easier to pick up users and advocates; people are generally more
willing to try out a third-party tool than to run or test with a patched
Django.

Carl