On Dec 8, 6:46 am, Ian Clelland <clell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> use_unicode used to be unconditional on the database connection; now you've
> removed it, but just for Python 3.

I looked into it a little further - the use_unicode flag is just used
in the 2.x constructor to set default converters to return unicode
instead of str. This would be implicitly always unicode in the 3.x
adapter.

I also looked further into one of the collation errors -
test_serialize_unicode. From what I can see, the query is converted to
utf-8 bytes and passed to MySQL, which returns the error. I can't see
where the Swedish collation it refers to comes from. Will continue to
investigate ...

Regards,

Vinay Sajip