On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 6:46 am, Ian Clelland <clell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There also seem to be a number of unicode-related errors there (mixed
> > collations; unrecognized characters) -- Could that be related to the
> lines
>
> I'm also getting the same errors on 2.x with the 2.x adapter on
> unpatched Django - so it might well be to do with my MySQL
> installation (stock 5.1.58 for Ubuntu 64-bit).

For all the Django test suite tests to pass, you must have a test database
that uses the utf-8 encoding, not latin1. (The tests uses characters that
have no encoding in latin1.) See the note under:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/internals/contributing/#using-another-settings-module.
If your MySQL install hasn't been configured to use utf8 instead of latin1
by default then you can set TEST_CHARSET to get the test database created
with the necessary encoding.

Karen