On 12/07/2011 09:53 PM, Aymeric Augustin wrote:
I just came across your patches while I was triaging the "unreviewed" queue.
Unfortunately, I found it difficult to assess them, since they don't include tests or
docs.

Generally, all changes should come with tests. If you're adding new features — for
instance "Support for non-integer primary keys" sounds an interesting one —
those should be documented too.

That would help people who aren't familiar with django-nonrel (like me) to
review your patches, and in particular to understand their consequences.

So there are multiple reasons why these patches don't include tests nor docs:

1.) I didn't write the code, I'm just submitting the patches in their current state

2.) I don't like wasting my time, so I won't write extensive documentation before the patch gets accepted

3.) Many changes can't be tested in a useful manner using unittest. For instance the non-integer primary key patch should really be tested using integration tests -- but that requires complex mocking which takes a lot of time. Again I'd like to not waste my time. I'm willing to write tests and docs once the patch is accepted.

To make things clear, I don't refuse to do *informal* documentation (like in this thread or on the ticket tracker) because that doesn't take so much time and brain power :-)

So if you need help understanding the patches, shoot!

Jonas

--
http://jonas.lophus.org | http://django-mongodb.org

Want to become a Django MongoDB Engine/Django-nonrel core developer? Get in touch: django-non-relatio...@googlegroups.com