On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sa...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 11:39 pm, Ian Clelland <clell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I now have Django passing its entire unit test suite with the MySQL and
> > SQLite backends, on Python 2.6.7 and Python 3.2.2
>
> Ian,
>
> Thanks for the comprehensive summary and eliminating those last few
> issues on the MySQL backend. One more thing which might be useful to
> have for comparison purposes is the test results when run on 2.x with
> an unmodified Django (from the mirror at
> https://bitbucket.org/django/django/),
> so that people can see what the potential performance penalty is for
> calling u() and b() all over the place. I realise that it's not going
> to be a scientific comparison, but it will probably show up if there
> is appreciable overhead (I haven't found that to be the case, but it
> might vary based on platforms and backends).
>
> I posted these from the tests (for the sqlite backend) run on my
> Ubuntu VM, in response to a question from Armin Ronacher:
>
> Django on 2.x unported: 4482 tests in 368.972s, skipped = 90
> Django on 2.x, with u(), b(), sys.exc_info() etc: 4478 tests in
> 367.635s, skipped = 90
> Django on 3.x, with u(), b(), sys.exc_info() etc: 4423 tests in
> 372.946s, skipped = 96
>
> It would be interesting to see if a similar pattern emerges on OSX.

I upgraded to the latest trunk head, and re-ran the tests with the same
Python 2.6 virtualenv

Totally unscientific results:

SQLite:
Ran 4482 tests in 442.362s
OK (skipped=91, expected failures=3)

MySQL:
Ran 4482 tests in 2917.268s
OK (skipped=83, expected failures=3)

Unscientifically, trunk without the Python 3 patches runs 1.5% faster w/
SQLite, 0.6% faster w/ MySQL. (based on a sample size of 1 :) )

--
Regards,
Ian Clelland