The thing is, we aren't trying to "scientifically correct" statistics. What
we're aiming to say is, "This is not so wildly different as to be of any
concern." We aren't looking for minor difference, but orders of magnitude
difference.

If you are that worried about a <2% difference in speed, you probably
shouldn't be using Python... or at least Django. You should be finding the
parts that you can optimize for your specific application and optimizing
those. Python 3 *IS* the future. There isn't much way around that at this
point. I believe the general idea is to make sure the solution at this
point does not slow everything down to the point where it would be
impossible for someone to switch to Python 3. Don't get me wrong, I don't
want to see a 2% increase in timing all the time, but Python 3 support is a
bullet that will HAVE to get bitten.

Also, I am expecting I could make bigger gains by just using that pure
Python MySQL driver and running under PyPy. If the major part of the time
wasn't spent inside the actual database (which should be fairly obviously
the case as switching from SQLite in memory to MySQL is a >5x increase in
time).

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Ian Clelland <clell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Unscientifically, trunk without the Python 3 patches runs 1.5% faster w/
> > SQLite, 0.6% faster w/ MySQL. (based on a sample size of 1 :) )
> >

> I know you put the word 'unscientifically' in there, but you can draw
> no conclusions from doing one run of each like that. See my reply
> earlier in the week on how to simply and easily do valid statistical
> testing.
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/django-developers/2011-12/msg00162.html
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom