On Dec 10, 4:56 pm, Adrian Holovaty <adr...@holovaty.com> wrote:

> I think both of these proposals are great -- start merging the Python
> 3 work right after we release 1.4, anddropsupport for Python2.5in
> trunk after 1.4 is released.

Before we do this, another decision is required - which release of 2.6
is the minimum Django should support? There was a change which
occurred with 2.6.5 (IIRC) to allow Unicode in kwargs keys (earlier
versions would raise an exception).

If we use "from __future__ import unicode_literals" to avoid using u()
and b(), then a lot of Django code will be affected. Supporting 2.6-
>2.6.4 will require cleaning kwargs, and to avoid this one would need
to state that Django will only support 2.6.5 onwards. Of course, that
might affect quite a lot of users with 2.6 system Pythons which are <
2.6.5 (e.g. on Ubuntu Jaunty the system Python is 2.6.2).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip