Thank you for your inputs. I have updated the patch. Will keep in mind to
think a bit about the overall design before jumping headfirst and writing a
patch.

There is an existing ticket with patch to support HTML5 input types
(#16630). This is also addressed by the template-based-widgets patch in
#15667. I think the latter is the best direction, but it is blocked by
slowness of the template engine.

Thanks for the links. Will see if I can contribute.

Patches without tests won't be committed. There are many existing
examples of tests that test form rendering and HTML output; for
instance, most of the tests in regressiontests/forms/.

I will keep that in mind. The updated patch has tests.

P.S. carljm: Can you please have a look at
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/14394 Is the patch acceptable?
(Disclaimer: I did not write it.) If not, how can I contribute?