While this would be a valid argument if Django templates only rendered
HTML, that is not the only thing it can be used to render. The original
poster gave a very good example of a text-based email. I could list lots of
other formats in which white space must be followed to even be useful (like
.CSV).

I have used Jinja2 on multiple occasions to render C code that needed to be
code reviewed. I did not want to have to sanitize the output to be
readable. I hadn't realized Django templating wouldn't have been usable for
this. I just didn't want to have to install Django and PIL.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Stan <stanislas.gue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Not* +1 on this.
>
> Using extensively Django since the beginning and had never felt the
> need to break a tag on several lines. HTML does not meant to be
> written like any programming language (80 cols and so on) and the
> philosophy of the Django template language has never been to expose a
> full-featured programming language into HTML files.
>
> Not convinced about the readability arguments because I don't read
> HTML (like I read Python code).
>
> The BDFL has to be strong and conservative on that because we all know
> where this could easily ends.
>
> Anyway, it is possible to use a 3rd party template language with
> Django, is it not ?
>
> > Mainly for comments, since {# #} is far, far more readable than {%
> comment
> > %}{% endcomment %} even with syntax highlighting,
>
> Not for me. A comment block turns blue with Vim so they are both
> equally readable. The purposes are differents.
>
> We have to keep in mind that Django template are aimed to non-dev
> folks. So the concice the better.
>

> Have a nice w.e.
>

> On Feb 24, 4:15 pm, Daniel Moisset <dmois...@machinalis.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gay...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Folks, you seem to have missed Russell's point.  Even if 100 people +1
> this,
> > > it's meaningless.  That's a tiny fraction of this mailing list's
> readership,
> > > much less of the Django community at large.  Django is the way it is
> > > because, first and foremost, of taste.  If you'd like to make an
> argument as
> > > to *why* it's useful, that's useful, but we don't take polls.
> >
> > It's useful because it helps some templaets in some cases be more
> readable

Joe & Anne Tennies
tenn...@gmail.com